Sunday, January 11, 2009

Waste A Day

I thought that it was a special day. Y'know, like those days that people always talk about...
"I woke up and I knew that day was different."
"The day started off like a miracle - like God was watching over me."
"It all started that day."
Well, here I was, sitting up on the side of my bed, the room dark save for the moonlight filtering in around the blinds. I swear I'd shut them tight - I must need new ones. But I digress. I was sitting up on the side of my bed, head hanging down for a bit, then I looked up and looked around. Nothing out of the ordinary - my room on the main floor of the house I shared with four other people. Johnny was snoring in the next room - I swear, I need to either soundproof that wall or suffocate him... Gin was up, I could hear him in the kitchen - his work schedule allowed him to work whenever he wanted, so he worked nights. I always envied him for his job as a video game writer, it might seem geeky, but it really is a dream job. I assumed that Jenny was asleep in her room on the main floor, and that Vance was most likely sleeping out his alcohol down in the basement.

So, in short, nothing was wrong with the house. I shrugged my shoulders a bit - they always get a little sore when I sleep - and looked at the clock. It was exactly four o'clock in the morning - just like all those songs. I decided not to go into the kitchen. Gin would start talking, and I didn't feel like talking.

I opened the blinds and managed to get a sliver of a view of the moon between the top of my window and the roof of the neighbor's house.

I dunno why, but I just couldn't get back to sleep, so I just kinda lay on the floor under my window, watching the moon. I lay there, not asleep, but not thinking, until I heard Jenny's distinctive yawn. It's a sort of singing yawn - it goes up, down, up kinda thing. I got up, pulled on my jeans and a loose designer long sleeve and made my way to the main floor bathroom. Jenny wasn't in the kitchen, but I saw her legs by her closet - I assumed she was co-ordinating her outfit.

I did my stuff, washed my face and rinsed with mouthwash - I hate morning-breath - before I went to the kitchen. Vance had been in my orange juice again, but I was way too tired to go down and kick him. I was cooking an omelette when Jenny returned to the kitchen, pulling her hair into a quick ponytail as she went.

"Hey." She said.
"Hey." I replied.
"Breakfast?"
"Yeah - I noticed you were up, so I figured I'd make enough for both of us."
"Cheeky, are you?"
"I'd say 'considerate'."
"You're right." Jenny said, giving me a quick hug. "Thanks."
"No problem." I said, leaning my head against hers for a quick moment. We weren't dating, and we never had that kind of relationship. Jenny wouldn't date any of us guys in the house - well, Gin didn't count, he was gay, after all. But we were all like brothers to her - we teased her, she teased us, we got angry at guys that hurt her, she used us like bodyguards. It was a nice relationship.

Jenny and I ate breakfast together. Gin was at work, and Vance was still sleeping. She never once asked me why I was up as early as she was - I usually woke up just as she was washing her dishes from breakfast. It was a nice change to eat breakfast with her - she was a nice girl to talk to.

Anyways, after she left for work - she was a junior marketing director at the local university - I started packing things up to go to my job. I wasn't a video game writer like Gin, I wasn't a university frat boy like Vance, and I wasn't a young exec like Jenny - I was a plain old office worker for the government. I guess you could say I had the best job of all. Almost no expectations, no homework, good pension, good pay and always fair hours. But then again, it was far from interesting.

That morning on my way to work, I never expected anything interesting to happen - nothing ever did. It was just something I'd become accustomed to - nothing happening. I mean, don't get me wrong, it wasn't like I was depressed or angry with life - angsty is not one of the many faults I have. But it was just like that.

But this one day, something kinda special did happen. Some random kid with a sticky note, a Sharpie, some tape and a I'm-gonna-say-something-cool attitude had packing-taped a sticky note to the sidewalk at the interesction I crossed to walk to work.

By Reading This, You Are Entitled Too A Day Of Wonder And Adventure.
Look At Everything In A New Light.
Live Life.

It was certainly an interesting thought. I looked at that note for an entire ten minutes - I missed my crossing opportunity. I guess I stopped reading it and stopped thinking for a while, because I don't remember the rest of my journey to the office. I was at my desk, typing away at a file that I'd started working on the night before and was almost finished (a week before schedule) when I felt like I'd come out of a trance. I stopped typing and thought about the note.

"Tch... Damn kids and their grammar... 'Too' - it's 'to', idiot."

And that's my day. Nothing interesting happened. That night, Gin said I looked like I needed a vacation - I ignored him and went to bed.




Details
Music: 
Song: Sleep Spent 
Artist: Death Cab For Cutie 
Album: "Something About Airplanes"
Drafts: One

Comments? Feedback? Interpretations?

No comments: