Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Friend Of Mine Said "Hello".


"Stacy, I really think you need to reconsider this-"
"Why? I mean, we're really in love, y'know? We really care for each other."
"Yeah, yeah, Stacy, I know, but I just think you need to give it some more time."
"Time, time, time! Everyone's all about giving it more time!"
"Stace..."
"God, don't you guys ever believe in love?"
"Stace, it's not that we don't believe in love, it's just-"
"'It's just', 'give it some more thought', 'Stace, Stace, Stace'! It's like you guys don't believe me or trust me or anything!"
"Stace, I'm sorry - That's not what I-"
"Sure, it's not what you're trying to say, but it sure as hell is coming across!"
"Stace, please, just, just listen to what I have to say, please."
"What."
"Thanks."
"What."
"Right, it's not that we think - or I should say, I think, I can't talk for everyone else... I just think that you should look at what your history with him is. You've been with Jerry for three weeks. I'm just worried you might end up regretting this decision."
"I won't, I know I won't."
"That's just it - how do you know if you haven't spent more than a month with this guy? I'm just scared he might hurt you right after he marries you."
"Why? Because that's what happened to your sister?"
"Stacey, my sister has nothing to do with this - and if I had to say, yes."
"Hmph."
"It's because I care for you like my sister that I want to make sure that you don't get hurt. Because of what happened with Lizzie I can recognize the signs - and I think you might want to wait a bit longer."
"But we don't want to - we know enough."
"Stacey, if he really loves you, he'll understand and agree that you need to try it out some more. If he really loves you, he wouldn't care if you married him or not - so long as you were with him."
"But I know he loves me already, I know!"
"Stace..."
"What. I've listened to you now, can I go?"
"Go?"
"Yeah, Jer's outside - we're going to go look at wedding night lingere. I can't wait."
"Lingere already? You haven't even tied the knot yet."
"Oh, come on. You know we've 'tied the knot' way before this."
"Stacey, that's not what I'm talking about... A marriage ceremony is an imporant tradition - he really should think about the wedding itself instead of the night after."
"Oh, Kyra, you're such an oldie!"
"I am not - I'm just as old as you are!"
"Ha ha, no you're still a few months younger - remember? Who had to lead you through the bar on your eighteenth?"
"Okay, okay... Stace?"
"Yeah."
"Just... Take care of yourself, please?"
"Sure."
"Okay... Love ya."
"Love ya, too."
...


"Kyra, did you hear?"
"Hear what? What's up, Mel, you sound a bit frantic."
"It's Stacey!"
"Stace? What happened? Is she okay?"
"She's in the hospital."
"Hospita- Which one?"
"Kyra?"
"What hospital is she in! Quick!"
"Kyra, she's in pretty bad shape, you're probably not going to be able to visit..."
"I'll get through. I'll find a way to get through."
"Kyra, calm down. You sound like you're-"
"Angry? I am."
"Kyra, let's meet up before, okay?"
"Mel?"
"I'm scared, Kyra..."
"Okay - I'll swing by and pick you up."
...


"Hey, girl."
"Kyra!"
"Whoa, Mel, whoa..."
"K-Kyra-a-a!"
"Hey, hey, hold on a sec, Mel - we haven't left your house yet."
"Huh-huh-I-I know! I-I'm just... Stacey..."
"Okay, hold on. Before you start me on the waterworks, okay? Let's just get there, okay? Anyone else coming?"
"Yvonne a-and Ch-Chad... A-and... And..."
"Shhh, shhh, okay, it's okay, you don't have to tell me. We'll just give a quick call once we're there, okay?"
"O-okay..."
"Alright, so let's get you in the car and we'll listen to some of your favorite Vivaldi on the way, okay? Would that help?"
"Y-yeah, thanks, Kyra."
"'Course, babe. Careful, now, your head."
...


"Thanks for everything, Kyra..."
"Sure thing, Mel."
"I mean it, I'd be a nervous wreck without you."
"Oh, come on - you're a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for."
"Yeah, but you're always able to just keep going, you're like, my hero."
"Oh, come on. Stop it with the praise, you'll make me cry."
"Hah! The great Kyra spouting water works? More than anyone of us could hope for."
"Hey, I'm not that much of an Ice Queen!"
"Ha ha ha, sure, sure, Your Icy Highness."
"Mel!"
"Ha ha ha..."
"Well... There it is... Our Loving Sisters Hospital... It's pretty big, isn't it?"
"Yeah... Oh! There's Yvonne and Chad!"
"Oh, so they are. Let's go met up with them, huh?"
"Okay."
"Alright, I'll take down Stacey's teddy."
...


"I'm sorry, Miss, but I don't think that you can see her now. She's in a fairly bad state."
"Please, Nurse, we just really need to see her. We've been her best friends since junior high and we really need to make sure she's okay."
"I know that this must be a hard time for you, but I can't let you all see her."
"Please, Nurse, please. We need to see her - to give her some support."
"I understand your feelings, but..."
"P-please... I-I... We need to make sure she's at least... at least...."
"Mel? S'alrigh', 'kay? S'alrigh', hon..."
"C-Chad... She was... she was just..."
"It's Kyra, right?"
"Yes, ma'am... Can we at least give her this? It's her favorite teddy bear. She's had it since she was born."
"You're all her childhood friends?"
"Yes, ma'am."
"...Just a moment."
"Thank you, ma'am."
...


"Alright - only twenty mintues, okay? Twenty and no more."
"Thank you so much, Nurse, thank you."
"Sure, now hurry it up, okay? And nothing to stress her out - the works, y'know."
"Of course."
"Okay, we go' in, and there she is..."
"Chad, don't go making it sound like a secret mission - this is serious stuff."
"I know, I know, Yvonne - jus', it's the humour that takes th'edge off, righ'?"
"O-oh.... She looks... s-so... K-Kyra-a-ah!"
"Whoa, Mel, hush, now, hush. I know you're upset, but we've gotta make sure we don't stress Stace out any more than necessary, okay?"
"O-O-okay..."
"Okay, let's just sit beside her, okay? Chad, Yvonne, do you guys want to go to the far side?"
"Righ'to."
"Sure, sweetie."
"Thanks."
"S-Stace...."
"Hush, Mel, it's okay. She's just asleep."
"I can' believe this... I can' believe this..."
"That's some bastard to do this to such a sweet girl as Stacey."
"He's a damn bastard alright. A fucking bastard."
"K-Kyra?"
"Sweetie, I know you're mad as hell, but bashing a bastard's face in ain't goin' to help our Stace any."
"She's righ', Kyra. Our first concern is little miss Stace, here."
"Sure. Mel, here, you can give her Mr. Stitchy."
"Okay... I... I remember wh-when I first saw this guy... We were having our f-first sleepover..."
"'S a darn shame I never go' a sleepov'r with ya girls... Ouch!"
"Serves you right, Chad, you ain't nowhere near good enough for us, eh, Kyra?"
"Ha, right. You'd be in over your head, Chad."
"Aw - c'mon, ladies..."
"G-Guys!"
"M....mmm.... J-Jerry? Is-at you?"
"O-oh... O-oh G-God...."
"Sweetie, hush, it's just her first reaction, okay?"
"Tha' bastard..."
"Fuck it."
"Kyra, Kyra, sweetie, where ya goin'?"
"To fucking spear that ASS with a fucking ten foot pole!"
"Kyra, hon, I know yer mad - 'kay? But it's not gonna do anythin' fer ya ter go off like tha', okay?"
"Oh, oh, it's not is it?"
"K-Kyra, please..."
"Kyra, sweetie - you're makin' Mel nervous."
"God... GOD.... jesus.... I... I just can't believe I let this happen..."
"Hon, c'mon, let's sit'cha back down, 'kay?"
"I can't believe I let this happen... God... I can't believe this..."
"Mmm.... Hhhhnnn..... K-Kyr?"
"Stace? Yeah, it's me... I'm here, babe, I'm here."
"Kyr.... It... It wasn't his fault... Okay? I didn't do what he wanted me to, okay? Jer's a nice guy..."
"oh my god..."
...


"Kyra! Kyra! Get back 'ere!"
"NO! FUCK THIS! I can't believe I let him get away with this... He's a damn FUCK!"
"Kyra-! Aaaah! Gah! What in the bloody fuck was that for?!"
"Just stay away from me! That fuck is gonna pay for what he's doing!"
"Kyra! Jus'... Dammit - ow! God, OW! Stop- stop squirming!"
"Lemmego!!!"
"Kyra, stay calm, 'kay? You gotta listen to yerself!"
"GOD!!!!! Let me GO!!!"
"Kyra!"
"AAAAAAAHHHHH! FUCK! Chad, let the Fuck go!!!!"
"Kyra..."
"let me go... let me go... let... let... me... g-go...."
"Hush, hon, s'okay... s'okay... Alright, slowly now, slowly... There ya go."
"I can't... I can't... why? why? no, no, no, no, no, no...."
"Kyra... hon... look, I know it's hard for you - I know... I'm Lizzie's friend, too, okay? We were both there for her, okay?"
"I know.... it's.... Gah... W-why can't they ever just listen? I wanted her to know that when I talked to her..."
"Shhh, hon, shhh..."
"It's... it's like everything I said to her just went out the other side... Why can't she see? Why can't she see it's because I love her that I can't just.... I can't just..."
"Let her go?"
"I just wanted to.... to... keep her safe..."
...


"Hey, it's Stacey... I don't know if you're there or not... I just wanted to say thanks for everything... Chad told me about how you were really mad... Heh... He showed me his black eye... Said you got real feisty on him... Umm... anyways... I'll... uh... I'll just call again..."

"Hey, Stace again... Missed you earlier... and this time, too.... Uh... Just wanted to um... yeah... I'll, uh.... I'll just try again, okay?"

"Hey... It's me... Look, I'm sorry, okay? But really, you're being a kid! Kyra, pick up the phone! I know you're there! Pick it up!"

"Kyra! Jesus! I know you're there. We've been friends since, like, the beginning of time. Stop acting like a child! Kyra!... Kyra!.... Fine. Y'know what, fine."

"Hey, hon. 'S Chad... Stace told me ya weren't pickin' up her calls... Looks like I either missed ya or yer really upset... Jus', don't do anythin' ye'd regret - 'kay? Luv ya lots. Talk ter me if ya need to."

"Look, Kyra, I know you're screening your calls now... But... C'mon - tell you what, I'll distance myself from Jerry, okay? Would that make you happy? C'mon - I'll be choosing you over him now, okay? So... so... just... pick up the phone will you?"

"Sweetie, it's me. Mel called me a few hours ago... Looks like you really are screening your calls, girl - that's a way to treat bad boyfriends, but not a way to treat friends... But I can understand where you're coming from... But Mel sounded a bit frantic - apparently Stace is just really down lately. She's pretty emotional, and you know that Mel doesn't do emotional pretty well... You don't have to call Stace, but at least call Mel, okay? Alright. I'm here if you need me, girl, so call me up if you want some good soul food, 'kay?"

"Kyra?... I know you probably hate me right now... I'm sorry... Y'know... You were right... Jerry is an ass... I should have listened to you. I know it's not much in means of apology or anything... But... I just want you to know that I broke up with Jerry - and he moved away. He was an ass, but at least he doesn't seem to be a stalker... And... I took up kick boxing... Yeah, I know, it's a huge change for me, but I think it would be a good idea just to know how to defend myself, y'know?... Anyways... I'm sorry... I hope... I hope that you could find it in yourself to forgive m-"
"Stace..."
"Kyra!"
"Hey..."
"Hello..."









Details and Comments
Drafts: One, minor edits after a five hour wait period.
Edits: Applied to Chad's speech and some of Yvonne's.
Late Edits: Grammar correction and certain italics.
Comments:
Yeah... This was a lot heavier than "Waste A Day", but it was also a lot more meaningful and challenging but extra fun to write. I've always wanted to try writing a piece in pure dialogue. I actually planned to do my first ever NaNoWriMo in complete dialogue (50,000 words of conversation, can you imagine that?).
Anywho, I'm not entirely sure what motivated this persay, but I do know that it has a fairly personal meaning. There are a few themes in there which I tried to convey... Firstly there's the sort of self-blame and how it really is a rather destructive quality. Then there's the message on blind love (hope it's not too strong). And how ignorance can cause as much harm on the ignorant as the person attempting to enlighten them.
So... yeah... hope it's not too much of a heavy read... nor something too confusing...

Comments, feedback, criticism - all welcome and considered!

No comments: